Monday, March 9, 2009

Out of Africa: My Final Post

These words have been 8 months in the making. How can I sum up the past 8 months of my life into a small space like this? The truth is I can’t. 8 months ago I set out on what I called my Journey to the Cradle of Humanity not really knowing what I was getting into and here I sit in the final few days before I return home. It’s a surreal feeling and I can’t really explain it. I have been switching between 2 conflicting mindsets, sadness at the thought that this journey is coming to an end and I will soon leave, but also pure euphoria and excitement at the thought of being home. Back in August, a friend of mine who did the IDM fellowship a few years ago said that this experience would be just as much (if not more) about personal development than professional development. Not that I doubted him, but 8 months later he’s absolutely correct. I know its cliché to say it, but I swear it feels like I just left. I can still remember July 14th to the exact detail. But its not July 2008, its March 2009.

The GOOD

There are so many good memories here I don’t know where to begin. The fact that I can now tell stories that begin with “when I lived in Africa..” (but I promise I won’t do that a lot). Ok seriously, I think the obvious start is the people. My colleagues, and friends. The ones who really made this what it was. My colleagues at work created an environment for me where I felt like family and regardless of what I was actually doing at work, I always looked forward to going even if it was just to see them. Its now a global network.

Then of course there’s the sights – the ocean, my favourite sight of the moon shining on the Indian Ocean, I will never forget that. My oceanfront patio where I spent almost every evening between 5 and 6:30 just enjoying a cool breeze and the sunset in balmy weather. The smell of grilled meat, cold beer on the beach, partying till sunrise, and never having to wait in line or pay cover at the bar.

Next, how can I not mention the learning. The opportunity to be a part of and learn about healthcare in a totally different world was priceless. When I first got here all I could think about was how archaic the system was. The chance to go around this province into the most rural villages and just experience life in a totally different way is something I’ll never forget. I can only hope I’ve contributed to something bigger that will eventually result in something better.

The travel. What can I say, I love to travel! My first safari in the world’s most stunning landscape the Maasai Mara, and my subsequent safari in the 8th wonder of the world the Ngorongoro Crater. To see majestic animals in their natural environment in the wild was amazing. Spending Diwali in India was more special than I can say as well as the chance to finally visit one of the greatest cities in the world - Mumbai. Ringing in the new year in perhaps the most scenic place on earth - Zanzibar! Snorkeling in Malindi and Shimoni, a trip to Uganda - the Pearl of Africa and numerous getaways to my favourite city in Kenya – Nairobi! I am so grateful at the chance to travel throughout East Africa and see so much. Like I said, as much as this was about professional development, it was also personal.

The BAD

Why focus on the bad? Well, because its about learning. The best way to turn a bad experience into something good is to learn from it. I can’t say I learned from all my bad experiences, but I think its important to be aware of them. There were low days. Days when this place seemed unbearable, when all I wanted was to go home and yet home seemed so far away. To the point that I now have a better understanding of what it means to be a prisoner of your mind. When your mind takes complete control of you and slip into a downward spiral and you feel as if you’re going to suffocate. I felt that. More than once. I didn’t like it. There are other bad memories such as being arrested by corrupt policemen (it only happened once). It caught me completely off-guard and was the first time I actually feared for my safety here. Some of the sights I saw were just heartbreaking - poverty, corruption, inequity, abuse, despair. These were things I saw everyday and its emotionally draining. But, this is why I’m here. The world is not perfect. I’ve always strived to be a global citizen and live beyond my borders to get a better understanding of our world for all its glory and grime. As Canadians, we are blessed with where we live and what we have, but we also have a responsibility to others who are not as fortunate. I’m not saying I’ve fulfilled my responsibility, far from it, but it’s a start.

At this point, I have to say that I did not do this alone and I can’t forget the love, support and encouragement I got from everyone. First and foremost from my family, specifically my parents, my brother and my sister-in-law. All who probably spent a small fortune in weekly phone calls, but were my lifeline. They have been behind me every step of the way and I can’t thank them enough. Right now, there’s no one I want to see more than my family. To everyone who sent me emails, msgs, commented on my blog, or just dropped a line. You may think it was small peanuts to just say ‘hi how are you’, but somedays, those messages would be my greatest salvation. Believe me when I say I read them all, sometimes more than once (on those bad days) I can’t wait to see you all. To my roomates, who’s energy and enthusiasm lifted me when I was down and lent me their ears when I needed, we beat the odds and redefined what it means to be an ‘odd bunch’. To my fellow IDM’ers around the world, you’re all an inspiration and I know you will all go on to do great things.

I am excited to come home and I think in a sense it has provided me with some validation about what I have made of my life. I am surrounded by the greatest people in the world. My dad has always said that he doesn’t measure his riches by his bank account but instead by the people that surround him. When I think about the people around me, I feel like a millionaire.

So that’s it. Y’know I was constantly asked – how is it? C’mon..thats a loaded question and I beg people to not ask me that from here on! But the simplest answer I can give is that this was the most challenging, but also the most rewarding experience I’ve ever had. But now, on Wednesday, my journey home begins and so too does a new chapter in my life. I look forward to what comes next with hope and excitement. I hope I will remember what I have learned here, and I hope ‘here’ will remember me. I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed having this blog. It’s the first time I’ve ever done this, and whether or not it made sense, who knows, but I know that this is something I will keep with me for the rest of my life. In the meantime, I’m tired as hell and I’m coming home. But I am coming home feeling fulfilled as if I have accomplished something and with no regrets.

In closing I want to leave with 3 phrases that have been my motto throughout my journey, that I have said to myself over and over again, and what I would say to anyone who wants to do something like this, or just to anyone who needs a lift:

Be Strong
Be Safe
Be the Change you Wish to see in the World

My Journey has ended, much love

Kwaheri.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like an unbelievable experience. We're all so excited for you to come home! You're not leaving Africa, the memories will live on forever and the experience will always be with you. Can't wait to see you again!!

Laura