Monday, October 20, 2008

A Tourist in your own Town

This past weekend our friend and fellow intern from Nairobi came to visit and considering the great time I had in Nairobi, definitely wanted to return the favour by showing her a good time in Mombasa. Its funny to think about it, but really, how well do you know your own town? Like when someone comes to visit you (wherever you live) and wants to see ‘your’ city, where do you take them?

In Mombasa, the answer is – out of town! Ok fine, that’s harsh, but slightly true. Zu came in on Friday, we all went out for a late dinner and then first thing Saturday morning we were off to Malindi. Now, I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but Malindi (2 hours north, up the coast from Mombasa) is what I imagined Mombasa to be like. A relaxed Oceanside city where the water is steps away from the core, and you can walk the streets without fear of being runover. We arrived in Malindi to do a little tourist shopping, but the highlight was the marine park. We spent the afternoon on boat out in the ocean and went snorkeling in the reef. I’ve never been snorkeling, but I’m definitely hooked. Maybe a little anxious at first as I went a little too deep and a rush of salt water came down my snorkel into and into my mouth (the Indian Ocean does NOT taste good), so I made my way back to the boat to catch my breath. A few reassuring instructions later I was back in and loving it! Seeing all the brightly coloured fish of all shapes and sizes. I was moving along and had to stop as I ran into a whole school of fish swimming along and then they started to make circles around me. It was pretty cool! So thumbs up to Malindi, maybe Mombasa was like that one day not long ago, but the growth has outpaced the ability of the city to handle it.

Sunday was spent finally touring Mombasa’s main tourist attraction – Fort Jesus. It’s a Portuguese fort that was built in the 1600’s I think right on the ocean front. It’s a neat fort with multiple passage ways and little nooks and crannies, great views of the ocean. Located right next to the old town, you can see all the different colour roofs of the buildings of old town. I even finally found the Doormans. There’s 2 main restaurant chains I like in Kenya, Java and Doormans. Both are western style coffee places that are a mix between starbucks, tim hortons and your favourite breakfast place. Unfortuantely, like many things in Kenya, Java’s chain is only located in Nairobi, but Doormans finally took a chance and came to Mombasa. I had pancakes! I haven’t had pancakes in..well..a few weeks ago when I went to Java’s in Nairobi, but before that, it was at home. They were good, but nowhere near as good as my mom, my dad’s or my sister-in-law’s homemade pancakes with fresh strawberry sauce. No better way to start a weekend than with a plate of those! But, for now, doormans will do.

Anyways, it was a fun wknd, to be a tourist in your own town. Point out all the sights, and little things you’ve discovered. Gives you a chance to realize what your town has to offer. On a separate note, I’m taking off to India this Friday for a little vacation. Believe it or not, I’m reaching the halfway point of my time here. While I’m still learning a huge amount, and really soaking it in, if I’m totally honest a small part of me is starting to wear a bit, but I figure that’s normal at this point – plus the heat is really starting to set in! The timing of this India trip could not be better - I’ll be in Mumbai (Bombay) and Delhi and will be celebrating Diwali there with my cousin and my aunt and I can’t wait!!! The food, the music, the culture, just the whole atmosphere, I can already taste it, hear it, and feel it. I think more than anything though, the best part of it, will be – not having to think!

No comments: